Saturday, February 22, 2014

Unexpected observation

One more step closer to the "The Creativity Shop" happened today. My friend Christina and I have been dabbling in organizing and teaching creativity workshops for the past year and a half. We have led workshops around my dining room table; color workshops, watercolor exploration and creating handcrafted books.  Last year at about this same time, we organized and led a weekend get-away creativity workshop. Today we executed our most ambitious art undertaking an Art FUNdraiser. We partnered with a local church and provided an afternoon of art for women with proceeds going to a local charity.
Participants could choose from 2 different art sessions which were taught by myself and Christina and another friend Kathy- a REAL artist from Chicago. We had 21 women from our town involved in the art projects- Here is what I noticed:
  • for 3 1/2 hours I saw a room full of people engaged with art and other people
  • many, many smiling faces
  • I did NOT see any form of technology (except my phone/camera taking pictures)being used-no text messages checked, no cell phone calls taken, NO TECHNOLOGY period!
  • I noticed relaxed, calm and engaged humans - not particularly worried about the outcome -BUT very engaged in the process!
  • the generosity of our participants allowed us to raise $417 for a local charity
These observations confirm for me that my desire to create a space/shop for ANYONE to create in is what I am called to do...SUMMER 2015 "The Creativity Shop" will open!
                                               Church hall before we set-up for the day.
Set-up

 
 Messy stations filled with creative inspiration
 




 
 
                                                                             Lots
                                                                                Of
                                                                               Smiles
                                                                At the end of the day!
 
 
I hope you are able to find some unexpected validation in your life...
 
Lucy
 

 

1 comment: