Sunday, November 17, 2013

Milwaukee Art Museum

I feel kind of strange writing about Art after Lucy's beautiful post about sadness in our friends (and our) lives. I know we are at that stage and we need to embrace all the beautiful moments we can but at times it can seem a bit superfluous. I do know I feel better after observing and appreciating beauty.  It sure is a lot healthier than other ways to "escape" the pain of a time.  I am not giving up my Sauvignon Blanc however.  I have cut it down to 3 times a week which I feel is quite acceptable.

I played hooky from work and took a Friday field trip with my good friend Barbara to the Milwaukee Art Museum.  I had heard it was beautiful but I was truly moved by the architecture, setting and art. It is such an accessible museum. The rooms run into each other and the art can surprise you. You do not get bogged down in certain periods which can happen in the larger museums.

Strangely what I took away from the museum was not only the art but the friendly and docent like security guards. They were happy to walk you to a certain piece, give you suggestions and tell you about an artist or even art movement.  When I asked how they became so knowledgeable they said they are included in discussions about new pieces and listen to the docents.  I am sure their down to earth Midwestern attitude helped as well.  The museum hires well.

Here are a few of my favorite images from the museum.

By Tara Donovan.  Entirely made of buttons.  Amazing.


Chuck Close.  Early work.


Gabrielle Munter.  LOVE, LOVE, LOVE her work.



Folk Art section.  A bit of the "Possum Trot".  It was mechanical and had singing.  Hilarious.  I do believe the security guards do go a bit batty with the music.



Eugene Von Bruenchenhein assembled turkey and chicken bone chairs.  Who'd a thunk?


Lastly, the beautiful sculptures of Harry Bertoia against the Lake Michigan waves.  Exquisite.


All of this blogging and my class at the Art Institute have finally sparked me to start creating.  I will write about that next time.  Have a good week all.

                                                              Eileen


No comments:

Post a Comment